It is a very special responsibility to bring the light of Christ into the sanctuary for our services of worship. Children in grades 3-5 are encouraged to participate in this wonderful ministry of light.
“God Lights Our Way”
“GLOW” in the Acolyte way with your ‘special gift’. Contact the church office to sign up.
What is an acolyte?
An Acolyte has a long history in the church. They perform the very important function to bring the light of God into the sanctuary at the beginning of the each worship service and carry the light of God out into the world at the end of each service.
How is acolyting performed?
At the beginning of the service:
- Parents please sit in the pew against the closet wall with your child.
- Put on the red robe and the white shawl over it – choose one with the appropriate size for you.
- Take the candle lighter and the matches from the back coat closet.
- Before the service, look down the aisle to note where the two candles are located because sometimes the candles are in different places.
- During the first verse of the first hymn, have Mom or Dad light your candle lighter and proceed down the left aisle. Be very careful to walk slowly so that the candle lighter is not extinguished.
- In the event the candle lighter goes out, slowly and calmly, turn around and walk to the back of the sanctuary and have Mom or Dad relight the candle lighter for you.
- When you get to the front of the sanctuary, light both candles.
- Once the candles are lit, walk to the front of the right aisle and pause. When you pause at the front of the right aisle, extinguish the candle lighter by placing your hand behind the flame and gently blowing it out.
- Once the candle lighter is extinguished, you can walk slowly down the aisle to the back of the church.
- If you are the acolyte at the 10:00 a.m. service, you may wear your robe to Sunday school. The Sunday school teachers know to remind you when to return to the sanctuary near the end of the service.
At the end of the service:
- The Pastor provides a benediction and there will be a short congregational response.
- When the Pastor begins the benediction, walk slowly down the left aisle with your candle lighter unlit.
- Approach the first candle and light the wick of the candle lighter, then extinguish the first candle. Proceed to the second candle and extinguish it as well.
- Now both altar candles are extinguished but the candle lighter is still lit.
- Then proceed down the Bloomfield Avenue side aisle and extinguish the candle lighter at the back of the sanctuary by placing your hand behind the flame and gently blowing it out.
- Place the candle lighter and the matches back in the coat closet.
- Hang up your robe and shawl in the closet. Thank you and you are done!!