Since 1994, the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Federal Holiday has been designated as a national day of service. The First Presbyterian Church at Caldwell and Congregation Agudath Israel are teaming up once again this year to invite you to participate in a Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service Project benefitting the 7th Street Bistro of Memorial West United Presbyterian Church in Newark, New Jersey. This soup kitchen helps to address some of the food insecurity needs of families who live in the West Ward of Newark. We will be collecting requested items to help restock the food pantry of 7th Street Bistro of Memorial West United Presbyterian Church.
Members of Congregation Agudath Israel and First Presbyterian Church will be stationed outside of First Presbyterian Church at Caldwell (326 Bloomfield Ave, Caldwell, NJ) on the circle/staff parking lot to receive drive-by donations: Date: Sunday 1-15-23 Time: 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm
Members of both congregations will also be stationed in the parking lot of Jack’s Foodtown (Caldwell) to collect donations. Date: Monday (Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day) 1-16-23 Time: 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm
- Vegetable soup, tomato soup, cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soups
- Canned tuna fish or pink salmon, canned chicken
- Peanut butter, grape or strawberry jelly/jam
- Assorted canned fruit (pears, pineapple, peaches)
- Apple sauce (or mixed fruit)
- Canned vegetables: green beans, greens, peas and carrots, corn, spinach, mixed vegetables, sweet potatoes
- Any juices (especially apple)
- Potato flakes, spaghetti, rotini, pasta shells, macaroni
- Boxes of mac & cheese
- Pasta sauce (any variety), diced tomatoes
- Any prepared canned meals (chili or Chef Boyardee products)
- Cold breakfast cereals Variety packs of oatmeal Hot chocolate packs
- Pancake mix
- Pantry milk/non-fat dry milk
**If we need to cancel the Monday event (1-16-23) due to inclement weather, the Foodtown collection will take place the following Sunday (1-22-23) from 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm at the Foodtown parking lot.
If you would prefer to participate 100% remotely, there will be a donate button for monetary donations towards this project on the First Presbyterian Church at Caldwell’s website. We will be happy to do the shopping for you!
We would love for you to partake in this Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service Project in whatever way you feel comfortable; and in doing so, assist us to continue to help realize Dr. King’s vision of a “Beloved Community.”
For questions or more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.