The First Presbyterian Church at Caldwell… on the corner of Bloomfield Ave. & Roseland Ave.
We’ve been at this historic corner for 225 years. We would like to introduce ourselves to you.
We are a congregation of 850 members. At one time we owned most of the center of Caldwell, when it was known as Horseneck. We sold off the property to build our present church. We changed the name of the community to Caldwell after James Caldwell, the Fighting Parson, who served as Deputy General in Washington’s army, and helped establish our church. Our 2nd pastor was Richard Cleveland who named his first son Steven Grover after our first pastor. He became the 22nd and 24th president of the United States. The Baby Ruth candy bar was named after Ruth Cleveland, the first baby born in the White House.
Here’s some of what we do!
- We worship God twice each Sunday at 8:30 AM and 10:00 AM.
- We have outstanding preaching about the Bible and the life and teachings of Jesus Christ.
- We teach children about God every Sunday at our school.
- We have classes for adult education.
- We have 4 Bell Choirs.
- We have 5 Singing Choirs.
- We have over 60 junior and senior high kids who put on a musical play each year and take it on tour, either in the U.S. or overseas.
- We have a musical series of 4 outstanding performances each year.
- We have sent members to Mississippi (six times!) to help victims of Hurricane Katrina.
- We serve at soup kitchens each month.
- We have a group of Dads who meet each Saturday morning to discuss their roles as dads and husbands.
- We have a Weekday Nursery School for pre-K children.
- We have ‘small groups‘ that meet regularly for fun and fellowship.
- We have a Women’s Fellowship of over 80 women who meet monthly and perform a variety of services for the church and the community.
- We have groups of Junior and Senior High School students that go to Pittsburgh each year to help construct and repair homes for the needy.
- We have youth fellowship groups for Junior and Senior High students.
- We have a Heritage and Art gallery to display our historic documents and our collection of 60 biblical paintings.
- We have a men’s softball team that plays in the North Jersey Fellowship Softball League.
- We have special programs for blood donations, clothing and food collections.
- We help support 21 missionaries and mission groups throughout the world.
It could change your life!